Unhappy about the use of a home CCTV system?

Individuals who are affected by CCTV installed on a domestic property should take steps to approach the householder in the first instance to raise their concerns. 

Who to contact

The Commissioner can only investigate complaints about whether the processing of personal data through the use of the CCTV system complies with the data protection legislation.  However, the Commissioner cannot enter domestic premises to review the field of view of a CCTV camera without obtaining a warrant from the court.

The Commissioner cannot investigate:

It is advisable to maintain a record of any communications, for example copies of letters, dates and times of phone calls or conversations etc, as details of the steps taken to address the matter may be sought by investigating authorities.  

Individuals wishing to make a complaint to the Commissioner will be asked to provide details of the steps they have already taken to address the matter.  

Find out how to make a complaint to the Commissioner